Saturday, September 27, 2014

From the mouth of babes


My daughter and I always have daily discussions when I pick her up from school. The other day we were stopped at a red light and she says, “Mom, look at that woman’s HUGE belly.” I asked her to repeat what she said hoping I had misheard her, but no, I had heard what she said loud and clear.

Explaining to a four year old that it’s not nice to say things that will hurt people’s feelings isn’t as easy as it sounds. Just last week she told me how gross my belly looks and that she doesn’t like it. Well, kid, you’re the one that made it that way so tough cookies. I found out later that she isn’t so grossed out by my loose skin as she is by all the lines (AKA stretch marks.) The first time she said something about my stomach I just walked off. It’s the part of my body that I struggle with the most because there’s just nothing I can do to change it-(not the lines-the looseness.) My husband was the one to give her the talk this time, but kids are just so honest. At least at this age.

While we sat at that red light and looked at the woman who was on a walk with who I assume was her husband, I explained to my daughter that some people are just bigger than others. Some people make different choices when eating and not everyone exercises regularly. I continued to share that the woman was on a walk so perhaps she’s working on getting healthier. 

How do you help your kids understand this concept? We aren't all on the same page when it comes to health and fitness and mostly that we are all different, but that's what makes us special? 



No comments:

Post a Comment